About Me

My photo
Chuck Baker is Right! Well, I am. What I mean is that my friends always joke that I’m always right (or at least I think I am). The thing is I don’t say anything, unless I know I’m right. So it's not that I’m right about everything, but usually when I speak I know what I’m talking about. My dad always said, “Don’t speak unless you know your right.” This blog includes many subjects like religion, politics, business, movies, sports, and more. On the left you will see options to search this blog, see popular posts, a catalog of posts, and favorite links. Please check out my YouTube channel by clicking on the link under favorite links.

Working Overtime

Recently I saw a meme on Facebook where a boss is asking his employees who would like to work overtime, then all the employees hide in funny and elaborate ways.  While I know this was just to be funny I commented on the post that, "I know this is a joke, but the joke is on you if you don't take advantage of overtime.  Not only do most non-salary employees make more money, you are going to get noticed and that is how you move up in your career.  Hard work will do more for your career than anything else.  Sorry for being the old guy with practical advise."

One of the first comments to me was that it doesn't matter if it is a dead end job and you are going to college.  I responded, "There are no dead end jobs, just deadbeat employees.   This is how you build your work ethic.  As an employer your degree will only get your foot into the door.  There are plenty of other people with degrees.  You will set yourself apart by being able to show your work effect."

Unfortunately most of the responses to my comments were like this person or how while working overtime might get you a few more dollars no one will notice and you won't move up.  Most people were just making excuses on why they shouldn't have to work extra.

I think what people don't get is that nothing replaces hard work and extra effort.  There will always be someone who is smarter, more talented, has a better degree, or more experience.   You can't really change what someone else has over you, but you can always work harder than anyone else. 

If you aren't getting promoted for working more or giving extra effort, then ask yourself why is your boss asking for  people to work overtime.  If the answer is that you and your employees aren't getting the work done in the regular 40 hours, maybe that is why you aren't getting the rewards for your extra work.  You aren't working hard enough those first 40 hours.  Coming in early and staying late is about doing more and getting more done than what was expected.  Hard work isn't just about putting in the time, but also the effort.  If you aren't where you want to be, then you might want to start by looking in the mirror.