About Me

My photo
Chuck Baker is Right! Well, I am. What I mean is that my friends always joke that I’m always right (or at least I think I am). The thing is I don’t say anything, unless I know I’m right. So it's not that I’m right about everything, but usually when I speak I know what I’m talking about. My dad always said, “Don’t speak unless you know your right.” This blog includes many subjects like religion, politics, business, movies, sports, and more. On the left you will see options to search this blog, see popular posts, a catalog of posts, and favorite links. Please check out my YouTube channel by clicking on the link under favorite links.

Fish: Be Present

Be Present

Two Hundred Cookies

A man stopped at a fast-food restaurant and placed an order that included a cookie.  The server said, “And would you like a cookie with that today?”  The next time he returned he place the same order, cookie included, with a different server.  Again, the server politely asked, “Would you like a cookie with that?”  The third time he dealt with yet another server.  This time he was feeling a little mischievous.  He placed his order, then added, “And I would like two hundred cookies.”  To which the server said, without a trace of irony, “I’ll get that for you, sir.  And would you like a cookie with that?” 

A Valuable Service

We expect the people who serve us in stores to be there for us.  But are we there for them?  A man was talking on his cell phone as a clerk rang up his purchases.  Suddenly, he said into the cell phone, “I need to hang up now so I can be with the clerk.”  The clerk looked into his eyes and said, “Thank you, You just made me valuable.”

Are you present in everything you do?

The Concept of Be Present

A)  What is Be Present?

            1)   “The past is history; The future is a mystery; Today is a gift; That is why we call it the present.”

            2)  Play and Make Their Day:  When you are playing and making others days you must be present.

B)  Benefits of Be Present

            1)  You will get more out of your-self.

            2)  Your customers will get more out of you.

            3)  Your co-workers will get more out of you.

            4)  Customer and co-workers will want to be around you.

            5)  Life will be more full-filling.

C)  Ways to Be Present

            1)  Look at the person you’re talking to.

            2)  The person in front of you is the only person that matters.

            3)  Play with the people around you.

            4)  Look for ways to make a person's day.

            5)  Choose the positive attitude that you will give someone.

 What does the book FISH say?

John offered a personal story.  “I was living a busy life,” he said with sadness in his voice, “trying to make ends meet and working both side against the middle.  One day my daughter asked me to go to the park.  I told her it was a wonderful idea, but I had a lot to do at that moment.  I said she should wait until later, after I had a chance to catch up.  But there always seemed to be some urgent and pressing work to do and the days passed.  Days led to weeks and weeks to months.”  With a choking voice, he said that four years passed and he never did go to the park.  His daughter is now fifteen and no longer interested in the park, nor, for that matter, in him. 

John paused and took a deep breath.  “I talked to one of the fish guys about being present, and I realized how infrequently I was really present at home or at work.  The fish guy invited me to visit the market with the whole family.  My daughter didn’t want to go, but I finally wore her down and she came along.  We had a good time, and I worked on being present with my children.  When my wife took my son down the street to the toy store, I sat down with my daughter and told her how sorry I was that I really hadn’t been there for her.  I told her I hoped she could forgive me and that while I couldn’t change the past, I let her know that I was now dedicated to being present in the present.  She said I wasn’t that bad a dad-I just needed to lighten up a little.  I’ve got a ways to go,”  he said, “but I’m improving.  Being present could help me recover something I wasn’t aware I had lost:  a relationship with my daughter.”

We get so busy in life.  We have so much going on at our jobs.  We have so much we have to get done.  But when we are interacting with a customer or co-worker you must be present with them.  Everyone deserves the respect of having you present with them.