About Me

My photo
Chuck Baker is Right! Well, I am. What I mean is that my friends always joke that I’m always right (or at least I think I am). The thing is I don’t say anything, unless I know I’m right. So it's not that I’m right about everything, but usually when I speak I know what I’m talking about. My dad always said, “Don’t speak unless you know your right.” This blog includes many subjects like religion, politics, business, movies, sports, and more. On the left you will see options to search this blog, see popular posts, a catalog of posts, and favorite links. Please check out my YouTube channel by clicking on the link under favorite links.

Student Loan Forgiveness

If you are benefiting from the Student Loan Forgiveness Program for you I say, "Good for you.  I'm happy for you."  The reason I say that is I'm not mad at anyone who gets money from the government.   I was able to take advantage of the Obama Stimulus Plan back in 2009-2010 with the first-time home buyers tax credit and green energy tax credit for a tankless water heater.  Anytime someone gets something back from government assuming they didn't get it through fraud I'm happy for them.  Good for you.  I'd never say that person shouldn't take advantage of a government program if they qualify. But please don't tell me you deserve it or it is right.  You know it isn't right that I, a person that didn't finish college, but had student loans and paid them off, should have to pay for your student loans that you willingly took out.  

Do I think this student loan forgiveness is a good idea?  NO!!!!!  This dumb plan is nothing more than a scheme to buy votes.  It will not fix the overall problem and it transfers great amounts of wealth to those that likely make higher incomes ftom those that make lower incomes. It will increase inflation and it will increase taxes on everyone.  It is unfair to those that didn't go to college and those that paid back their student loans.   A person could be making an income that is twice the national average and benefit from this program.   With inflation out of control and the economy in recession this is irresponsible. 

What should have happen is interest rates should have been lowered for those still making payments.  It shouldn't be any higher than the yield of a 10 year treasury bond.  And then loans should be capped based on your major.  The most a person should be allowed to borrow is equal to the national average for the first year salary of a major.  So let's say you are studying to be a teacher.  The average salary for a first year teacher is $41,000.  So that is your loan cap throughout your college career. Schools that take federal money should be forced to cap tuition based on this same metric.   If they want to charge more then they don't get to be involved in the federal loan or grant programs.  Also if there was to be any forgiveness for loans it should have required schools to pay back the money they charged.  The college system a corrupt and takes advantage of young people and taxpayers.  

We are going to add $500 billion to the debt for no good reason and it won't fix anything.