About Me

My photo
Chuck Baker is Right! Well, I am. What I mean is that my friends always joke that I’m always right (or at least I think I am). The thing is I don’t say anything, unless I know I’m right. So it's not that I’m right about everything, but usually when I speak I know what I’m talking about. My dad always said, “Don’t speak unless you know your right.” This blog includes many subjects like religion, politics, business, movies, sports, and more. On the left you will see options to search this blog, see popular posts, a catalog of posts, and favorite links. Please check out my YouTube channel by clicking on the link under favorite links.

I Stand for the Flag

My view is that while everyone has the right to free speech and expression, the National Anthem isn't the time or place.  During the anthem we should all be untied as Americans on what is good about us, not divide because of our faults. 

I was okay with what the Dallas Cowboys did on Monday Night Football.  Before the anthem they linked arms and took a knee to show unity.  But then for the actual anthem they stood together and many even held the flag for the National Anthem.  They made their statement while also showing respect for the Flag and the National Anthem.  And while I was okay with it was a compromise, I'd prefer to keep politics out of football and sports in general.  Sports should be a place to get away from politics.   

My issue with the protest itself is first with the guy who started it.  He really didn't have a coherent message except something about inequality and injustice.  But then supports dictators like Castro and Che Chavez.   He wears socks with pigs in cops uniforms.  And then doesn't even vote.  He isn't a role model.

Then you listen to these players who are taking a knee and they are all over the place.  Some are just supporting Kaperneck, some saying it is against racism, others about unity, and still others it is just about how they hate Trump. And I've yet to hear anyone offer any solutions, heard about any NFL organization that has been started, or seen any reports of players going to local police to find out how they can help.

The problem is their message is getting overshadowed by the fact that people are offended at their actions.  Football, the flag, and our National Anthem should be something that unites us all, not something used for political division.

If the NFL wants to continue down this path, then I can't follow.   Football is entertainment, but if it no longer fun for me I can find other ways to spend my entertainment dollars and time.  For me standing for the flag is a make or break issue.   Those that choose to not stand for the flag I wish you well, but as for me I stand for the flag.