About Me

My photo
Chuck Baker is Right! Well, I am. What I mean is that my friends always joke that I’m always right (or at least I think I am). The thing is I don’t say anything, unless I know I’m right. So it's not that I’m right about everything, but usually when I speak I know what I’m talking about. My dad always said, “Don’t speak unless you know your right.” This blog includes many subjects like religion, politics, business, movies, sports, and more. On the left you will see options to search this blog, see popular posts, a catalog of posts, and favorite links. Please check out my YouTube channel by clicking on the link under favorite links.

Bad Bosses or Bad Companies

I see quotes all the time about how people don't leave bad jobs, but bad bosses.  But this is too simplistic.  People will leave a job because of a bad boss.  But people also leave great bosses, when the company is bad.  Low wages, poor benefits, or bad work life balance will bleed good employees. And people will stay with a great company even if they have a bad boss, because many people know that the bad boss won't last.  Ultimately people stay or leave a job based on what is best for them and their family, not just because they have a good or bad boss.

The problem with this idea is that it removes all responsibility of the company to take care of and retain employees.  It just says it is all the responsibility of the managers to retain employees.   Companies want to retain good employees then here are 4 suggestions:

1.  Offer better than average pay.

2.  Hold managers accountable for retention of employees.  Managers that have high turnover likely are not treating their people right.  They need to be retrained or replaced.

3.  Offer an a late carte approach to benefits that fit the lifestyle of each employee.  Some employees might want more PTO time, others lower healthcare premiums, and another more flexible schedule.  Companies need to get creative. 

4.  Set goals that are achievable.  No one wants to feel like a failure.  Build people up over breaking them down.