About Me

My photo
Chuck Baker is Right! Well, I am. What I mean is that my friends always joke that I’m always right (or at least I think I am). The thing is I don’t say anything, unless I know I’m right. So it's not that I’m right about everything, but usually when I speak I know what I’m talking about. My dad always said, “Don’t speak unless you know your right.” This blog includes many subjects like religion, politics, business, movies, sports, and more. On the left you will see options to search this blog, see popular posts, a catalog of posts, and favorite links. Please check out my YouTube channel by clicking on the link under favorite links.

Healthcare Rationing

A senior citizen with a chronic illness was told by his doctor that he needed to have the H1N1 shot. The doctor had only 3 shots, so the man would have to get permission from the county health department. The health department told him that they can only approve young children and pregnant woman to get the shot. The man asked when he would be able to get the shot and they told him to check back in mid-December to see if he might be able to get the shot.

This is a true store from a newspaper is Missouri. The federal department of health and human services were the ones that set up this process of doctors needing approval to give treatment and the county health department turning people away. Since the 90’s when the federal government got involved in the flu vaccine market to make sure children got free flu shots, there have been shortages of flu vaccines. Before the government involvement there were hardly ever shortages, but now many companies that used to make vaccines have stopped due to the costs and low return on investment. With fewer companies making vaccines the supply can’t keep up with demand. Because of this the government has started to ration vaccines.

The H1N1 shortages and rations are just an example of what government healthcare will be like. In the free market when demand goes up, the supply is increased to meet the demand. In government controlled markets supply is control by bureaucrats without regards to the demand. I want to decide when I want healthcare. I don’t want the government to decide when I can have healthcare.