About Me

My photo
Chuck Baker is Right! Well, I am. What I mean is that my friends always joke that I’m always right (or at least I think I am). The thing is I don’t say anything, unless I know I’m right. So it's not that I’m right about everything, but usually when I speak I know what I’m talking about. My dad always said, “Don’t speak unless you know your right.” This blog includes many subjects like religion, politics, business, movies, sports, and more. On the left you will see options to search this blog, see popular posts, a catalog of posts, and favorite links. Please check out my YouTube channel by clicking on the link under favorite links.

Dogecoin: Disinflationary not Deflationary

While there is no cap on the total number of Dogecoin that can be made, the cap of 10,000 Dogecoin per block means that as Dogecoin's block time is 1 minute, approximately up to 5 billion new Dogecoin will enter circulation every year.

Unlike other cryptocurrencies, Dogecoin doesn't have a cap. In order to keep the network secure and operational, there's always an incentive of 5 billion coins per year for miners. By the end of 2030, there will be 180 billion Dogecoin in circulation.  As a comparison 6.3 billion Federal Reserve notes are printed every year at value of $188.3 billion.  This is just actually paper and coin minted, not how much is created in the economy and debt spending by government that is digital currency. 

Most altcoins, as they’ve been designed so far, are deflationary. This means there’s a hard cap on the number of coins that will ever be in existence. Bitcoin, for example, is designed to not have any more bitcoins come into existence after 2040. Other variants (Litecoin) have similar setups. However, one of the downsides of deflation is that it essentially encourages hoarding, as the perceived real value of the currency increases over time. Accordingly, academic researchers showed last year that 64 percent of all bitcoins have never been spent.

Dogecoin just might have a better chance of being used and transacted in the long-term. (After all, there's still just a handful of businesses that accept dogecoins as payment.)  Doge is disinflationary.

"As long as it’s at a steady and predictable rate, you would want that inflation rate to more or less match the growth of the global economy,” James Angel, a finance professor at Georgetown University. “In order for a currency to survive, it’s got to be useful. One of the problems we learned with gold standard was that it’s too inflexible—it takes too long for gold miners to dig it up out of the ground. Having a nice, steady, predictable money supply is actually a good thing.”

So it is possible for Dogecoin to actually become a useful currency.  It might never be worth $50,000, but there are predictions if will be worth up to $30 by 2030.  That is only $5.3 trillion in value. The US government has spent $5.3 trillion on Covid relief. The US economy is $23 trillion. China is $20 trillion. Japan is almost $6 trillion. And cryptocurrency isn't a US currency, but a currency that can be used worldwide. So I see this as possible as Doge will grow as the economy grows.