About Me

My photo
Chuck Baker is Right! Well, I am. What I mean is that my friends always joke that I’m always right (or at least I think I am). The thing is I don’t say anything, unless I know I’m right. So it's not that I’m right about everything, but usually when I speak I know what I’m talking about. My dad always said, “Don’t speak unless you know your right.” This blog includes many subjects like religion, politics, business, movies, sports, and more. On the left you will see options to search this blog, see popular posts, a catalog of posts, and favorite links. Please check out my YouTube channel by clicking on the link under favorite links.

Sharing Fake News is Sin

I see all the time from my Christian friends news stories, memes, or other posts on Facebook or Twitter that are fake.  They usually have some quote from a political or religious adversary that makes the person look really terrible.  There usually isn't a date with the quote, a place where the quote was made, or a source for the quote.  And it will come from some fake news site that has some dumb name like The Liberal Angel or The Freedom Fighters.  And usually a quick Google search will discover the quote or meme is fake.  But for some reason Christians don't see an issue with sharing these fake news posts.

But sharing fake news posts that lie about another person or attacks their character is a sin.  If you spread lies, gossip, or rumors you are sinning.  Here are a few scriptures to prove my point.

2 Timothy 2:23 ESV; "Have nothing to do with foolish, ignorant controversies; you know that they breed quarrels."

Proverbs 20:19 ESV; "Whoever goes about slandering reveals secrets; therefore do not associate with a simple babbler."

You can't make the excuse that you didn't know and don't want to waste your time to research a possible fake post.  If you aren't willing to verify a post, then don't share it.  When you share a lie you become complicate in the lie.  And the fact is you could just not share posts from pages or websites you've never heard of or look fake.  There are plenty of pages, websites, and news sources that you can follow and share that don't spread fake news.  Don't be so gullible.  Don't be apart of gossip.  Don't sin just because you are too lazy to do a simple Google search.