About Me

My photo
Chuck Baker is Right! Well, I am. What I mean is that my friends always joke that I’m always right (or at least I think I am). The thing is I don’t say anything, unless I know I’m right. So it's not that I’m right about everything, but usually when I speak I know what I’m talking about. My dad always said, “Don’t speak unless you know your right.” This blog includes many subjects like religion, politics, business, movies, sports, and more. On the left you will see options to search this blog, see popular posts, a catalog of posts, and favorite links. Please check out my YouTube channel by clicking on the link under favorite links.

Retail Coaching 6: 1 on 1

Part of good coaching in business is the time you spend 1 on 1 with your associates.  You need to review, plan, and retrain for your associates to be successful.   There are 3 basic parts to a 1 on 1.

1.  Review:  On a regular basis you should review with your associate on their results. You can do it weekly, monthly, and/or yearly.  Take time to talk about how they did and how they are doing.  Have a conversation with your associate about what they think about their performance.  Let them know how the overall business is doing.  The review needs to focus on specific results and goals that have already been talked about in the past.

2.  Plan:  Develop an action plan with your associate on how they can improve their results and the behaviors they will use to do this.  Set new goals that the associate will work towards.  The goals should be both based on the needs of the company and the ability of the associate.  This plan should be the basis on what you will review on your next 1 on 1.

3.  Retrain:  After you have reviewed your associate's results and developed an action plan you must follow-up with training.  On the areas that you and the associate have agreed that they will work on, you need to work with the associate.  Spend time explaining the behaviors you want to see, demonstrate those behaviors, and roll-play.  Give your associate the tools to attain their goals.