About Me

My photo
Chuck Baker is Right! Well, I am. What I mean is that my friends always joke that I’m always right (or at least I think I am). The thing is I don’t say anything, unless I know I’m right. So it's not that I’m right about everything, but usually when I speak I know what I’m talking about. My dad always said, “Don’t speak unless you know your right.” This blog includes many subjects like religion, politics, business, movies, sports, and more. On the left you will see options to search this blog, see popular posts, a catalog of posts, and favorite links. Please check out my YouTube channel by clicking on the link under favorite links.

Sharing Christ's Death

When my last employer in January 2011 elimated my job and let me go it was the second time in 4 years that something like this has happen to me.  For a man losing your job is devasting.  Our job in many ways defines who we are as a person.  It gives us worth and value.  Losing one’s jobs makes you worthless and as a failure.

This got me to looking on the internet for encouragement.  I came across a blog called “Making Career Changes.”  The author wrote an article called, “Faith and Job Loss.”  I want share a few things from it.

When our career or job leaves us, we think something went wrong with our faith. We ask questions like,

• "Why has God allowed this to happen to me when I'm one of the good ones -- one of his followers who is active in serving him and his church?"

• "Why haven't my prayers for daily provision, stability in my life, and protection from job loss been answered?"

• "What's wrong with me that God has sent this time of struggle?"

He goes on later to write;

Life according to the Bible is not about never suffering loss and having to endure hardship. It is about maintaining absolute trust in God when you do suffer loss and difficulty in life, and that God will get you through it, not by your own power, but through his power and accomplishment.

That's the true faith perspective to have when your job or career leaves you. So you need a new set of questions:

• "What is God going to teach me about trusting him through this loss?"

• "What can I learn about worshipping him and serving him when things are not going the way I want them to?"

• "Where is God leading me through this experience?"

• "How will God's power and accomplishments be shown through my difficulties?"

He finishes with 2 Corinthians 4:8-10;

We are pressed on every side by troubles, but we are not crushed. We are perplexed, but not driven to despair. We are hunted down, but never abandoned by God. We get knocked down, but we are not destroyed. Through suffering, our bodies continue to share in the death of Jesus so that the life of Jesus may also be seen in our bodies. (2 Corinthians 4:8-10 NLT)

Verse 10 is what really spoke to me: “Through suffering, our bodies continue to share in the death of Jesus…”  My job loss and my suffering allows me to share in Christ’s death. 

When I suffer it is an honor, because I am sharing Christ’s death.  When I remember what Christ has done for me and the promise he has made to me, I am encouraged for his burden is light and he will not forsake me.