About Me

My photo
Chuck Baker is Right! Well, I am. What I mean is that my friends always joke that I’m always right (or at least I think I am). The thing is I don’t say anything, unless I know I’m right. So it's not that I’m right about everything, but usually when I speak I know what I’m talking about. My dad always said, “Don’t speak unless you know your right.” This blog includes many subjects like religion, politics, business, movies, sports, and more. On the left you will see options to search this blog, see popular posts, a catalog of posts, and favorite links. Please check out my YouTube channel by clicking on the link under favorite links.

Saint and Sinner

1.  David the Saint

1 Samuel 17:34-37; But David said to Saul, “Your servant has been keeping his father’s sheep. When a lion or a bear came and carried off a sheep from the flock, 35 I went after it, struck it and rescued the sheep from its mouth. When it turned on me, I seized it by its hair, struck it and killed it. 36 Your servant has killed both the lion and the bear; this uncircumcised Philistine will be like one of them, because he has defied the armies of the living God. 37 The Lord who delivered me from the paw of the lion and the paw of the bear will deliver me from the hand of this Philistine.” [1]

2 Samuel 5:9-10; David then took up residence in the fortress and called it the City of David. He built up the area around it, from the supporting terraces inward. 10 And he became more and more powerful, because the Lord God Almighty was with him. [2]

2 Samuel 6:13-15; When those who were carrying the ark of the Lord had taken six steps, he sacrificed a bull and a fattened calf. 14 David, wearing a linen ephod, danced before the Lord with all his might, 15 while he and the entire house of Israel brought up the ark of the Lord with shouts and the sound of trumpets. [3]

2 Samuel 6:17-18; They brought the ark of the Lord and set it in its place inside the tent that David had pitched for it, and David sacrificed burnt offerings and fellowship offeringsf before the Lord. 18 After he had finished sacrificing the burnt offerings and fellowship offerings, he blessed the people in the name of the Lord Almighty.[4]

2 Samuel 7:11-16; “ ‘The Lord declares to you that the Lord himself will establish a house for you: 12 When your days are over and you rest with your fathers, I will raise up your offspring to succeed you, who will come from your own body, and I will establish his kingdom. 13 He is the one who will build a house for my Name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever. 14 I will be his father, and he will be my son. When he does wrong, I will punish him with the rod of men, with floggings inflicted by men. 15 But my love will never be taken away from him, as I took it away from Saul, whom I removed from before you. 16 Your house and your kingdom will endure forever before me; your throne will be established forever.’ ” [5]

2 Samuel 7:18-19; Then King David went in and sat before the Lord, and he said:

“Who am I, O Sovereign Lord, and what is my family, that you have brought me this far? 19 And as if this were not enough in your sight, O Sovereign Lord, you have also spoken about the future of the house of your servant. Is this your usual way of dealing with man, O Sovereign Lord? [6]

2.  David the Sinner

While David was not perfect and made many mistakes, the story of Dave and Bathsheba shows how lust and desire can even get the best of the best of people.  From the roof of his palace, David noticed a beautiful woman bathing, and he sent for her. When she became pregnant, he ordered her husband Uriah home from the battlefield, so the adultery might not be discovered. But Uriah was a dedicated man: he would not enjoy the comforts of his home or wife while his companions were camped in the open before the walls of an enemy city.

Desperate now, David sent secret orders to his commander to place Uriah in an exposed position so the enemy might kill him. After Uriah’s death, Bathsheba was taken into David’s house as one of his wives. And the Bible tells us, “The thing David had done displeased the Lord” (2 Sam. 11:27).

Now came a confrontation between David and Nathan the prophet, who was sent to announce God’s judgment on the king. This judgment needs to be seen as a natural consequence of David’s act; his own disrespect for the divinely ordained family pattern would bear its own bitter fruit.

David’s immediate reaction is revealing. Unlike others who struck out in anger against such prophets and condemned them, David immediately confessed his sin and admitted the rightness of God’s judgment: “David said to Nathan, ‘I have sinned against the Lord’ ” (2 Sam. 12:13).

Scripture tells this story simply. All the facts are recorded. No cover-up is attempted. Meditating on the incident, David was led to make the fullest possible revelation of his inner thoughts and feelings. We find them in Psalm 51, a psalm later used in public worship! We see timeless themes in Psalm 51, and find guidance to help us realize how we ourselves are to approach God when we sin. As the analysis of this psalm shows, David’s reaction is appropriate for us too when we fall short.[7]

3.  David the Penitent

THE PENITENT’S PSALM

Have mercy on me, O God, according to Your unfailing love; according to Your great compassion blot out my transgressions. Wash away all my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.

For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me. Against You, You only, have I sinned, and done what is evil in Your sight, so that You are proved right when You speak and justified when You judge. Surely I have been a sinner from birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me.

Surely You desire truth in the inner parts; You teach me wisdom in the inmost place. Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow. Let me hear joy and gladness; let the bones You have crushed rejoice. Hide Your face from my sins and blot out all my iniquity.

Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from Your presence or take Your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of Your salvation, and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.

Then I will teach transgressors Your ways, and sinners will turn back to You. Save me from bloodguilt, O God, the God who saves me, and my tongue will sing of Your righteousness.

O Lord, open my lips, and my mouth will declare Your praise. You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it; You do not take pleasure in burnt offerings. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, You will not despise.

Psalm 51:1–17 [8]

 

Because David was fully loved God, God was still going to use David to bring about the coming Kingdom of God that Christ would set up.

What we learn from David is that even when we sin God will still forgive us when we seek his forgiveness.  David was forgiven because he loved God fully.



[1] The Holy Bible : New International Version. electronic ed. Grand Rapids : Zondervan, 1996, c1984, S. 1 Sa 17:34-37
[2] The Holy Bible : New International Version. electronic ed. Grand Rapids : Zondervan, 1996, c1984, S. 2 Sa 5:9-10
[3] The Holy Bible : New International Version. electronic ed. Grand Rapids : Zondervan, 1996, c1984, S. 2 Sa 6:13-15
f Traditionally peace offerings; also in verse 18
[4] The Holy Bible : New International Version. electronic ed. Grand Rapids : Zondervan, 1996, c1984, S. 2 Sa 6:17-18
[5] The Holy Bible : New International Version. electronic ed. Grand Rapids : Zondervan, 1996, c1984, S. 2 Sa 7:8-16
[6] The Holy Bible : New International Version. electronic ed. Grand Rapids : Zondervan, 1996, c1984, S. 2 Sa 7:18-19
[7]Richards, Larry ; Richards, Lawrence O.: The Teacher's Commentary. Wheaton, Ill. : Victor Books, 1987, S. 235
[8]Richards, Larry ; Richards, Lawrence O.: The Teacher's Commentary. Wheaton, Ill. : Victor Books, 1987, S. 235